Physiological Assessment Room (With Biofeedback System)
The Physiological Assessment Room has 1 workstation and 2 sets of Biofeedback System. Biofeedback System is an electronic instrument which monitors the physiological response of the users and displays it back to the user (i.e. it generates biological signal feedback). It could be applied in couples of areas, including clinical research, physical therapy, and primary care. This Room and the Biofeedback System are administered by the Centre for Interdisciplinary Research, and the Centre of Interdisciplinary Research in Evidence-Based Practice (thereafter called “the Centres”), under the Institutional Development Scheme (IDS) of the Hong Kong Shue Yan University (HKSYU).
Tuesdays and Thursdays: From 2:00pm to 5:00pm (except public and university holidays)
- Go to Booking Timetable to check the availability of the Physiological Assessment Room - Biofeedback Systems.
- Complete and submit the Research Laboratory and Equipment Booking Form via the online booking platform. We do not accept email or phone booking.
- It normally takes two working days for approval after receiving the booking request. However, if insufficient information is provided, the request may be delayed or not be considered or processed.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your registered email once your booking is approved.
Rules and Regulations
- Eligible Users
- The Centres’ facilities including the laboratories and equipment are only for use by HKSYU student and staff, as well as authorized persons such as research collaborators. Transfer of bookings is prohibited.
- All users are requested to abide by the regulations for the use of the Centres’ facilities. Breach of regulations may lead to cancellations of bookings, suspension of future bookings of any facilities under the administration of the Centres, or payment of fines.
- Use of Facilities and Equipment
- Users should bring their HKSYU staff cards or student identity cards for inspection.
- The software installed in the Centres’ facilities is covered by copyright. Unauthorized copying of software, including programs, application, databases and codes are not allowed.
- Users should not install any software in the workstations without the authorization of the Centres.
- Users must return the equipment to the Centre by the due date and time of booking.
- Users should keep the borrowed equipment clean and ensure that the equipment is in the same condition as it was borrowed.
- Users should stop using the equipment if there is any malfunction or damage, and report to the Centres’ staff immediately.
- Users are not allowed to use the borrowed equipment outside the designated location unless special approval is obtained from the Centres.
- Cancelation of Booking
- Users must cancel the booking via the online booking platform or notifying the Centres through email (email@example.com) if a booking is no longer required.
- Cancelation should be done as early as possible to free up the slots so that a new booking can be made.
- If the Pre-No.8 Typhoon Warning or the Typhoon Warning Signal No.8 or above, or the Black Rainstorm Signal is in force within two hours before the booking, the booking will be cancelled.
- If the Pre-No.8 Typhoon Warning or the Typhoon Warning Signal No.8 or above is issued during the booking session, the booking will be cancelled.
- If the Black Rainstorm Signal is issued during the booking period, the booking will still be held unless the inclement weather affects the safety of users.
- The Centres reserves the rights to cancel any bookings when such need arises.
- No Show Policy
- The facilities are free to HKSYU students and staff. Users who repeatedly cancel reservations may have their booking privileges constrained.
- If a user does not turn up at the scheduled booking date/time without prior notification, the reservation will be regarded as ‘no-show’ and deemed cancelled.
- For a third “no-show” violation, the concerned user will be withdrawn from the privilege of reserving the Centres’ facilities for one month.
- For a fourth “no-show” violation and above, the concerned users will be withdrawn from the privilege of reserving the Centres’ facilities for three months.
- The no-show records will be counted and retained from January to December on an annual basis.
- Safety Requirements for Using the Biofeedback System
- Users must watch the demonstration videos of the reserved equipment or attend relevant training before using the equipment.
- Users must have thoroughly read the Equipment User Manual and Safety Guidelines and follow the instructions accordingly. They should sign a statement to indicate their agreement to relevant rules and regulations before using the equipment.
- Users should seek prior approval from authorized teachers (e.g. research supervisors) and/or relevant organizations (e.g. Human Research Ethics Committee) before booking if they intend to use the equipment for research involving human participants.
- Student users should be accompanied by an authorized teacher / Centres’ staff when operating the equipment for the first time.
- Users’ Responsibility
- Eating and drinking without prior approval are not allowed.
- Smoking is prohibited.
- Users should keep the facilities clean and tidy.
- Users should not move or relocate any facilities or furniture in the Physiological Assessment Room without the permission of the Centres.
- Users should take care of their belongings. Any personal items left unattended in the laboratory (on the seat) may be reported to and removed, without prior notice, by the on-duty staff. The Centres will not be responsible for any loss or damage to unattended personal property.
- Users should not play computer games in the Physiological Assessment Room.
- Damage or Loss Compensation
- Users are responsible for the care and use of the Centres’ facilities. Users may be liable for any loss of the borrowed equipment or to bear the cost of repairing any damage to the facilities caused by negligence or failure to adhere to the proper operating procedures.
- For enquiry, please contact the Centres at firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com or call 2804 8579.
The Centre for Interdisciplinary Research and the Centre of Interdisciplinary Research in Evidence-Based Practice, under Institutional Development Scheme of the Hong Kong Shue Yan University reserves the right of final decision on the interpretation of the above guidelines. The guidelines are subject to change and will be updated from time to time. (February 2018)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I just walk in without booking in advance?
As the number of cubical workstations is limited, users must book the station in advance. Users who repeatedly cancel reservations or appear no-show may have their booking privileges constrained.
- Can I use the Physiological Assessment Room outside the opening hours?
As the Physiological Assessment Room will be used for other purposes such as research workshops, supervisions, and maintenance, therefore the opening hours is subject to change. We will make early announcement if there are any changes in the opening hours. If users really need to use this Room outside the opening hours, please contact our Centre via email. We normally cater the following occasions: official school visits, class demonstration / teaching, academic research.
- Is there any technical support in the Physiological Assessment Room?
If users encounter any difficulties on using the hardware, please report to the Centre Staff in Room LG308.
- If I want to use the biofeedback system, what should I do?
Please indicate this in your booking request. For details on how to use the biofeedback system, please refer to the Rules and Regulations No. 5 ‘Safety Requirements for Using the Biofeedback System’ in this page.
- If I do not receive any booking confirmation after booking, what should I do?
It normally takes two working days for approval after receiving the booking request. However, if insufficient information is provided, the request may be delayed or not be considered or processed. Please contact the Centre if you have any queries.
- If I have not brought my student/staff ID card, can I still use the facilities?
Only HKSYU staff and students can use the facilities. Users should bring their HKSYU staff cards or student identity cards for inspection. The Centre has the right to disallow a person without hue Yan ID card from using the facilities.