The Computer Laboratory is equipped with 22 networked computers which are installed with research and statistical software, including Mathematica, SPSS, MPlus, NVivo, and ATLAS.ti for sophisticated data analysis, as well as CATI for telephone survey and interview. This Laboratory is administered by the Centre for Interdisciplinary Research, and the Centre of Interdisciplinary Research in Evidence-Based Practice (thereafter called “the Centres”), under the Institutional Development Scheme (IDS) of the Hong Kong Shue Yan University (HKSYU).
Wednesdays and Fridays: From 2:00pm to 5:00pm (except public and university holidays)
- Go to Booking Timetable to check the availability of the Computer Laboratory.
- Complete and submit the Research Laboratory and Equipment Booking Form via the online booking platform. We do not accept email or phone booking.
- It normally takes two working days for approval after receiving the booking request. However, if insufficient information is provided, the request may be delayed or not be considered or processed.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your registered email once your booking is approved.
Rules and Regulations
- Eligible Users
- The Centres’ facilities including the laboratories and equipment are only for use by HKSYU student and staff, as well as authorized persons such as research collaborators. Transfer of bookings is prohibited.
- All users are requested to abide by the regulations for the use of the Centres’ facilities. Breach of regulations may lead to cancellations of bookings, suspension of future bookings of any facilities under the administration of the Centres, or payment of fines.
- Use of Facilities and Equipment
- Users should bring their HKSYU staff cards or student identity cards for inspection.
- The software installed in the Centres’ facilities is covered by copyright. Unauthorized copying of software, including programs, application, databases and codes are not allowed.
- Users should not install any software in the workstations without the authorization of the Centres.
- Users must return the workstation to the Centre by the due date and time of booking.
- Users should keep the borrowed equipment clean and ensure that the equipment is in the same condition as it was borrowed.
- Users should stop using the workstation if there is any malfunction or damage, and report to the Centres’ staff immediately.
- Users are not allowed to use the borrowed equipment outside the designated location unless special approval is obtained from the Centres.
- Cancelation of Booking
- Users must cancel the booking via the online booking platform or notifying the Centres through email (email@example.com) if a booking is no longer required.
- Cancelation should be done as early as possible to free up the slots so that a new booking can be made.
- If the Pre-No.8 Typhoon Warning or the Typhoon Warning Signal No.8 or above, or the Black Rainstorm Signal is in force within two hours before the booking, the booking will be cancelled.
- If the Pre-No.8 Typhoon Warning or the Typhoon Warning Signal No.8 or above is issued during the booking session, the booking will be cancelled.
- If the Black Rainstorm Signal is issued during the booking period, the booking will still be held unless the inclement weather affects the safety of users.
- The Centres reserves the rights to cancel any bookings when such need arises.
- No Show Policy
- The facilities are free to HKSYU students and staff. Users who repeatedly cancel reservations may have their booking privileges constrained.
- If a user does not turn up at the scheduled booking date/time without prior notification, the reservation will be regarded as ‘no-show’ and deemed cancelled.
- For a third “no-show” violation, the concerned user will be withdrawn from the privilege of reserving the Centres’ facilities for one month.
- For a fourth “no-show” violation and above, the concerned users will be withdrawn from the privilege of reserving the Centres’ facilities for three months.
- The no-show records will be counted and retained from January to December on an annual basis.
- Users’ Responsibility
- Eating and drinking without prior approval are not allowed.
- Smoking is prohibited.
- Users should keep the facilities clean and tidy.
- Users should not move or relocate any facilities or furniture in the Computer Laboratory without the permission of the Centres.
- Users should take care of their belongings. Any personal items left unattended in the laboratory (on the seat) may be reported to and removed, without prior notice, by the on-duty staff. The Centres will not be responsible for any loss or damage to unattended personal property.
- Users should not play computer games in the Computer Laboratory.
- Damage or Loss Compensation
- Users are responsible for the care and use of the Centres’ facilities. Users may be liable for any loss of the borrowed equipment or to bear the cost of repairing any damage to the facilities caused by negligence or failure to adhere to the proper operating procedures.
- For enquiry, please contact the Centres at firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com or call 2804 8579.
The Centre of Interdisciplinary Research in Evidence-Based Practice and the Centre of Interdisciplinary Research in Evidence-Based Practice, under Institutional Development Scheme of the Hong Kong Shue Yan University reserves the right of final decision on the interpretation of the above guidelines. The guidelines are subject to change and will be updated from time to time. (February 2018)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I just walk in without booking in advance?
As the number of workstations and software licenses is limited, users must book the station in advance. Users who repeatedly cancel reservations or appear no-show may have their booking privileges constrained.
- Can I use the Computer Laboratory outside the opening hours?
As the Computer Laboratory will be used for other purposes such as research workshops, class teaching, and maintenance, therefore in the first stage, the Computer Laboratory will only open on Wednesdays and Fridays (except public and university holidays) from 2:00pm to 5:00pm. Besides, the opening hours is subject to change. We will make early announcement if there are any changes in the opening hours. If users really need to use this Laboratory outside the opening hours, please contact our Centre via email. We normally cater the following occasions: official school visits, class demonstration / teaching, academic research.
- Is there any technical support in the Computer Laboratory?
If users encounter any difficulties on using the hardware, please report to the stationed Laboratory Assistant.
- Can I use other facilities in the Computer Laboratory e.g. printer? the telephone system?
Users can use the color printer in the laboratory for color or B/W printing of a maximum no. of 5 pieces of A4 paper. For the phone system in the laboratory, as it is solely for research purpose, users are not allowed to make personal phone calls.
- If I do not receive any booking confirmation after booking, what should I do?
It normally takes two working days for approval after receiving the booking request. However, if insufficient information is provided, the request may be delayed or not be considered or processed. Please contact the Centre if you have any queries.
- If I have not brought my student/staff ID card, can I still use the facilities?
Only HKSYU staff and students can use the facilities. Users should bring their HKSYU staff cards or student identity cards for inspection. The Centre has the right to disallow a person without Shue Yan ID card from using the facilities.